Just watched this great Tom Peters video on BVO. I’m huge fan of Tom Peters, I haven’t read enough of his stuff, but what I have read is excellent, his blog is great, very insightful on Marketing, leadership and being ‘remarkable’ all done with incredible wisdom.
The video is full of highlights including:
- When he talks about hanging out with freaks – How we need to challenge ourselves and allow others to challenge us. I love the analogy of going to lunch with the same people all the time…you learn nothing, ask someone in your office you don’t know that well and see what you learn.
- Leaders are rarely the best performers, but they must be able to support the best and deal with all the personality issues that come with the best.
- Nothings is as contagious as enthusiasm – It’s the most important trait in leadership.
- Leaders are responsible for painting portraits of excellence; they are dealers in hope…
- Experience is the brand… we forget this a lot in events, I often say “we live and die by our last event”, people often take this wrong way, but what I mean is if we have a good event, people will remember it, the experience. I once put together a year long media partnership with an industry association based solely on the colossal shrimp tower. There was more to it of course but this partner remembered the experience and wanted to be associated with brand.
- Who’s the most interesting person you have meet in the last 90 days?
- You must recruit talent and organisations must be cathedrals to talent.
- Life is a learning experience…
Also this gem, damned if you, damned if you don’t, just plan damned!