Apart from being a great marketing podcast and blog, this particular session is unique for conference marketers. It’s essentially first hand customer insight into attending, sponsoring, and speaking at marketing conferences by a couple of marketing guys I follow (it’s basically an interesting customer insight in my opinion).
I think it gives some real insight into our customers and highlights some universal truths, in case you don’t have time here’s my take aways:
- High level executives only go to conferences because they were invited to speak?
- Attendees want to be inspired, made to think.
- Pay to play (or sponsored) conferences are ok, but only if there is a beating heart behind it, someone curating the speaker content, vetting their material, coaching the speakers!
- Big room / Small interactions – even at the biggest industry events true value comes from spending time with speakers and those tiny interactions that happen around the formal sessions.
- Having smaller consultants (or solution providers) who can’t sponsor but have real cutting edge research can be a win win!
- Scholarships can help change the perception of the event
Hope you find it interesting…you can also download it at itunes.